What's your EMPTY weight?

A catch-all forum for anything remotely related to Maule flying.
xwildcat
100+ Posts

Post by xwildcat »

Thanks, Greg. Added BushWhacker to the chart below. I think you're being conservative on your horsepower projections. I split the difference on your Gross plugging it in at 2400lbs. BTW, at 2500 the Pratical Performance is 1551.

Two thoughts...
First, THRUST matters a lot and this table doesn't reflect that. Your 90" prop is a game changer.
Second, we've all seen how talented and trained you are as a pilot. If Bushwhacker is indeed not at the top of the list, and you still get it to outperform any other Maule on the planet... well, that just shows that pilot skill set trumps all the paper numbers in the world. Which is exactly what I said earlier.

Here's the updated table...

taildragger
100+ Posts

upgross

Post by taildragger »

Hi,

If you get a chance could you run the numbers and see where I would end up
if I put the upgross kit on and bumped my gross up to 2500. Thanks.

Scott

xwildcat
100+ Posts

Post by xwildcat »

Your PP would be 1425, Scott.

benflyn
100+ Posts

Post by benflyn »

Here is a link to a chart of Lycoming engine info.
size, weight compression TBO ect.

http://www.supercub.org/forum/showthrea ... ngine-info

Maybe somebody with more putter savy than me can get it posted here.
As I hurtled through space, one thought kept crossing my mind - every part of this rocket was supplied by the lowest bidder .
John Glenn

Autorotate

Post by Autorotate »

benflyn wrote:Here is a link to a chart of Lycoming engine info.
size, weight compression TBO ect.

http://www.supercub.org/forum/showthrea ... ngine-info

Maybe somebody with more putter savy than me can get it posted here.
If some is good, more must be better...

benflyn
100+ Posts

Post by benflyn »

mauleguy wrote:Bushwacker is 0-360 with 10.5 to 1 compression and custom exhaust, 90" prop pitched at 33, Pulled 805 lbs. static. I am guessing around 190-195hp
it weighs 1325 empty on 35" Alaskan Bushwheels.

When I first completed it I had an 84" prop on 31" tires and it weighed in at 1257

Greg
Greg,

Is the 68 lbs weight gain all from the prop and tires change?

Thanks
As I hurtled through space, one thought kept crossing my mind - every part of this rocket was supplied by the lowest bidder .
John Glenn

BudG
100+ Posts

Post by BudG »

MX7-235 short wing 157.9 sq ft. empty with 8.00 tires 1544lbs. with 29 11.X10's 1589. (used to be a M5-235).

CAVU2U

BUDG

iceman
100+ Posts

Post by iceman »

sorry I'm late to the party.. been doin stuff to the airplane.. so here's my numbers.. Gross is 2300lbs...1966 M4 210c same wing numbers as Yellowmaule and the other M4's.new s tec lightweight starter, ABW dbl puck brakes, 29 11 10's , back seat out for camping gear.....empty weight 1378.5 useful load 921.5..
Iceman

xwildcat
100+ Posts

Post by xwildcat »

Ok, thanks. Added you guys and the table above has been updated.

Maulehigh
100+ Posts

Post by Maulehigh »

It would appear that I have the highest useful load. It's just a shame I can't use it all, due to C of G :( . (Both my wife and I are light and the kids are only little)

I would be interested to see where WUP's modified "long-wing" MX-7-235 appears in the table.
David
'91 MX-7-180

xwildcat
100+ Posts

Post by xwildcat »

Which brings up a good point... these are just POH numbers, not necessairily real world numbers.
Maulehigh, what is your CG? and what did your tail weigh level? Any weight forward of datum (wing leading edge) is MINUS ARM on the calc sheet. So I would think enhancements for you would be extended HD gear, big tires, FW mounted battery (or two), long metal prop, full weight alternators and/or starter, aftermarket exhaust, etc. Empty weight might increase but real world load hauling ability MIGHT offset this. :?:

rbowen

Post by rbowen »

Another late arrival...

M-7-260C with about every option and 8.50's -- 1,733 lbs. CG 13.56 inches.

Looks like these airplanes have put on a lot of weight in recent years.

Maulehigh
100+ Posts

Post by Maulehigh »

C of G @ 12.16 inches. I'll get back to you re tailwheel weight.
David
'91 MX-7-180

xwildcat
100+ Posts

Post by xwildcat »

Added you rbowen to the table above.
and Maulehigh, I thought 12" or so was about right to be able to fully load a Maule. Perhaps yours just barely gets out? Anyone??

FWIW, a useful load is great but needs to be compared to empty weight. The DHC Beaver can haul a lot but the ratio of useful load to empty weight is only about 70%. That's a good figure but many of the Maules on this list have a much higher Load Ratio... some approaching 85%. ( I can run that and post it here if anybody cares)

Maulehigh
100+ Posts

Post by Maulehigh »

xwildcat wrote:So I would think enhancements for you would be extended HD gear, big tires, FW mounted battery (or two), long metal prop, full weight alternators and/or starter, aftermarket exhaust, etc. Empty weight might increase but real world load hauling ability MIGHT offset this. :?:
Unfortunately those of us carrying European registrations are limited in terms of modifications as the FAA STCs have not been validated by the European Aviation Safety Agency (EASA). EASA specific STCs are no longer required due to the US/EU bilateral, but the FAA STCs do need to be validated. We don't do 337s either.

I'm not sure any of those modifications mentioned above have been approved for us. Anybody have any info on this?
David
'91 MX-7-180