KOLM TO CCO

A catch-all forum for anything remotely related to Maule flying.
senoiaslim

KOLM TO CCO

Post by senoiaslim »

I just took delivery of N9071E. I picked her up at KOLM and flew her back to CCO. It took 18 hours, 4 stops, and somewhere around 10 landings. lol When I asked one of the controlers to taxi to an FBO, he asked if I needed maintance? lol It feels like learning to fly all over again.

What a beautiful trip including flying over Moose Creek, (I can see mountain flying instruction is needed to go there)!!! Stopped in Bozeman and it reminded me of fishing with my dad years ago on the Madison and Yellowstone. Gods Country! Man do I have a bunch to learn as it doesn't land like the 110 thousand pounder that I am use to. But it sure will be fun trying to figure her out. It has been 20 year since my last tail dragger time and already the bike syndrome is coming back. Next week will be serious work on getting the landings down to one at a time! lol For all you all that live in the west, I am envious of your country. I lived in Denver for about 4 years and I have forgotten how beautiful the west is. I look forward to meeting the Maule community with 71E.
Mark

donknee
100+ Posts

Post by donknee »

Mark- I was kinda looking for you. When I put two and two together I realized you were buying Barry's airplane. When I talked to him he said it was suppossed to happen mid month...and I told him that was the intention you expressed online, he was surprised. I have a hangar in the next row. I flew my M5 to CCR (Buchanan field in Concord, CA) and back to KOLM this week. Enjoy your new airplane, I think you got a good deal, and a nice airplane, congratulations!

Don
1976 M5-235-C

Mr. Ed

Post by Mr. Ed »

Congrats! I recently purchased an MX7 on the east coast and flew it back to the west coast where I live. Also had been 24 years since my general aviation life ended and 26 since any tail dragger time. Same boat as you. Have had a ball learning to fly small planes again. It's been interesting, fun and sometimes frustrating. My normal eye height at main wheel touchdown is 50' so my instructor had many good laughs as I thought I was going to roll on the landing and he's telling me that I'm still 20' in the air! Have fun and be careful.

donknee
100+ Posts

new maule

Post by donknee »

Well, congratulations on your new Maule Ed! Everybody is off flying so I guess I get to be "the greeter". Sounds like you are enjoying you new airplane. I kinda felt bad about one Maule leaving the area, but with you bringing another one back...the world is back in balance. We are off to the San Juan Islands for a couple of days. Look forward to you posting more reports.
Regards, Don Kneeland
1976 M5-235-C

Mr. Ed

Post by Mr. Ed »

Don,
Speaking of the San Juans, do you or anybody else out there have any fun spots to go in the islands? Looking for a place that I can fly in and camp with my daughter, maybe catch a rockfish or cod close by. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

donknee
100+ Posts

Post by donknee »

WPA Washington Pilots Assoc. has a cabin you can reserve and a grass strip on Stuart Island. Most of the islands have airstrips and State Parks. We are taking bikes, so you would have to hike or bike. I will do some more research. :roll:

Don
1976 M5-235-C