knee board problems

A catch-all forum for anything remotely related to Maule flying.
cj8vet

knee board problems

Post by cj8vet »

sorry if this topic has already been discussed-I am 6'2",200lbs and have just started my instrument training...my fairly compact kneeboard sure gets in the way, have any of ya'll experienced this and found a good work around for a place to write clearances etc?
thanks
mark
mxt-180
cj8vet
mark richardson
MXT-180
N234PP

Lowflybye
100+ Posts

Post by Lowflybye »

A grease pencil on the pilot side window works great and does not take up any extra room. It wipes off with a damp cloth and does not harm the window. A dry erase pen works too and is easier to wipe off, just don't wipe your clearance off on accident.

-Low.
"To most people, the sky is the limit. To a pilot, the sky is home."

Still a bit cloudy when it comes to aviation insurance? Find some clarity: Clear on Top

Hottshot
100+ Posts

Post by Hottshot »

Lowflybye wrote:A grease pencil on the pilot side window works great and does not take up any extra room. It wipes off with a damp cloth and does not harm the window. A dry erase pen works too and is easier to wipe off, just don't wipe your clearance off on accident.

-Low.

Good Idea!!

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

I think the grease pencil came from the LOSH pilots from the Vietnam era. It will scratch the window if your not careful. I gave up kneeboards when I quit flying helicopters. I do a lot of flying IFR and just use a clip board.
All it takes is a grain of sand to get stuck in the grease pencil, but the dry erase marker sounds interesting. Even a permanent marker should erase with alcohol.
You can get all kinds of knee boards from Wings in Daleville Al. They make a small "tri-fold" that was my favorite. Their web-site is http://www.wings-aviation.com/

Lowflybye
100+ Posts

Post by Lowflybye »

I did not think about the grain of sand in the grease pencil...I guess I better switch to the dry erase markers. They are easier to wipe off anyway since you can use any dry piece of cloth.
"To most people, the sky is the limit. To a pilot, the sky is home."

Still a bit cloudy when it comes to aviation insurance? Find some clarity: Clear on Top

Kirk
100+ Posts

Post by Kirk »

I installed a yoke mounted clip board. Trimmed it down a bit so it gave me more room and it works great.

Look for one that has a clamp with a threaded knob to tighten. The ones that just clip on are wobbly and take 2 hands.

210TC
100+ Posts

Post by 210TC »

Check out a digital flight recorder