North to Alaska

A catch-all forum for anything remotely related to Maule flying.
Rocketman

North to Alaska

Post by Rocketman »

I'm going to Alaska the first of July to help a friend pick up an airplane and bring it back to Florida. Roughly 10,000 mile round trip.
He has a modified horse trailer that will do the job with a little preparation. I say we rent a box trailer in or close to Alaska and not pull that empty 5500 pound load, 5000 miles.
This is a Piper J5 on tundra tires.The fuselage and wings are covered and to silver. It's on the gear with a 135 mounted. There's a new 150 horse and prop with it, boxed and ready to load.
He has quotes from $9000 to $13,000 to have it brought to him. We figure around $4000 to go get it. Thats if nothing goes wrong.
This trip is also ment to be an adventure vacation for a month away from the wives. A free airplane is just the excuse.
Any of you ever done such a trip? Anybody have information about where and how much to get a trailer set up for such a task.
Thanks for any help you can offer.
Real pilots fly airplanes built in Moultrie.
Real good pilots fly yellow airplanes that smell like poison built in Albany.

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

I've got a C3500 Duramax Diesel, whenever I pull any thing significant my fuel mileage will go from about 18 to less than 10. If your like me, then the fuel mileage difference may pay for the rental trailer. Other than that I have no advice, you willbe doing something I've never done.

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Ditch the trailer idea. Some years back we towed an M5 Maule from Fairbanks to Moultrie GA on it's own wheels. Build a ball hitch that will bolt to the tailspring area, remove rudder, pad and strap wings along the sides. Get a couple extra wheel bearings just in case and some extra discarded tyre caseings in AK and/or you can pick them up at airports along the way. I think we used about 4 or 5 pair. Only takes a few minutes to change them.
We used a 2 litre Datsun pickup at about 24mpg and you're on your way.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

UP-M5
100+ Posts

Post by UP-M5 »

i can help you out with a few sets of worn out tires for the highway.... if you decide to go that route.

if you do tow your own trailer, bring your own welder and generator as well. the highway eats trailers.
a friend of mine just had to fly to tok with a welder and generator in his 206. he landed on the highway and fixed a fellows trailer tongue that had snapped.
M5-235

210TC
100+ Posts

Post by 210TC »

Container

YELLOWMAULE
100+ Posts

Post by YELLOWMAULE »

You'll be hard pressed to find an available trailer up here. To buy or rent. The rental for a one-way (WA-AK) was $7,000 for a 28' U-Haul. Any trailer that gets here is at a premium $. Shipping has this state by the curls.
Jeremy's idea is probably the best if your'e looking for the drive and time off. The container was what I used brining my gear here (13,000# @ $4,000 door to door) and I barged the vehicles. You might look into rail service if they'll allow you to send it on a flat bed without a container but crated.
Find a knowledgable Expediter and look into possiblities.
It would be quite the adventure!!

benflyn
100+ Posts

Post by benflyn »

Jeremy,

If you make a hitch that bolts in place of the tail wheel, is there anything that should be changed on the wheel alignment ( toe in, toe out)?

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Generally speaking, on a taildragger, there should be no toe in or out if the hitch is hooked at a height so the bottom of the wing would be at a wheel landing position. Set the height that gets you paralel wheels as many gear are out of true.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide