Lets talk Razorback

A catch-all forum for anything remotely related to Maule flying.
senoiaslim

Lets talk Razorback

Post by senoiaslim »

Ok all,

There are a lot of planes out there for sale that have razorback. Some are 25 to 30 years with the product. Besides being heavy, what life span can it have in all conditions? Hangared? Not Hangared? Also, if it needs to be replaced, what product would you use, and what does it cost to reskin a Maule and paint it?

Thanks
Mark

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

I'm in Albany Ga., if you want to come down and take a look.
mine lasted 23 years. The razorback was still in good shape, but there were severe paint cracks that were beyond fixing because it was urethane and not dope. If that weren't enough, The bottom wooden stringer had laid over and the control cables were beginning to rub. As far as I could tell the Razorback was still OK, but the best way for me to fix everything was a recover.
I think that often as not other things will force a recover on a Maule. I have seen very old Razorback on a PA-12 that was doped. I think Razorback will last a very long time.
If you recover replace at least the bottom wooden stringer with a stainless one from Maule.
I recovered with Stits and urethane paint, I believe essentually what the factory is using now.
Cost wise, I'm not sure. I had a bunch of things done, interior,seats, harnesses etc.

Lowflybye
100+ Posts

Re: Lets talk Razorback

Post by Lowflybye »

senoiaslim wrote:Ok all,

There are a lot of planes out there for sale that have razorback. Some are 25 to 30 years with the product. Besides being heavy, what life span can it have in all conditions? Hangared? Not Hangared? Also, if it needs to be replaced, what product would you use, and what does it cost to reskin a Maule and paint it?

Thanks
You must be the fellow that was asking about Jerry's M5-235 here in Smyrna...it is a great airplane, not a hangar queen, but treated like one.

Obviously any aircraft will "wear" better if it is always hangared, but especially a fabric covered aircraft. Stitts, Razorback, etc. will always last much longer when it is kept clean and out of the elements and sun.

You will find vast differences in fabric covered aircraft based on that fact. The Maule paintjob will also vary considerably as Maule does not do a very good job from the factory. We have a 1994 MX7-180 with only 250 TTSN and it has been hangared since new. The paint is chipping away at many places due to the paint type and application that was used at the factory. This is a typical Maule problem. You may find many older aircraft that have been repainted that will look much better than newer models due to the aftermarket paint.

We have 4 or 5 Maules in the local area here...all diferent models. If you make it over to the Nashville area I can probably set up a chance for you to see a few of them...Jerry's is the only one for sale, but it will give you a chance to compare the different models, coverings, and paint.
"To most people, the sky is the limit. To a pilot, the sky is home."

Still a bit cloudy when it comes to aviation insurance? Find some clarity: Clear on Top

Maule 9V

Post by Maule 9V »

My M5-210 has 33 year old Razorback in great shape, parked outside. I pay close attention to keeping rain out of the plane and have few problems. Make sure you have drain holes that are open. Razorback is about as thick at canvas. I like it alot.

donknee
100+ Posts

razorback

Post by donknee »

My 1976 M5 is the original razorback. I bought it from the original owner, who kept it hangared on farms in Nebraska and South Dakota. There are a few defects in the tape, and the paint is original. Seems pretty good for its age.
1976 M5-235-C

senoiaslim

Post by senoiaslim »

Lowflyby,

I have asked about Jerrys Maule, however I was asking in general about Razorback as there seems to be a lot of planes out there in the model that I would like to look at. I guess Jerry decided not to sell his.

But back the topic. I appreciate your help to all as I see a few airplanes that look bad with the exterior and wonder when most of the owners start think about recovering. I have heard that it cost around 25 to 30 thousand to recover and paint a Maule. Any thoughs?
Mark

aussieaviator

Post by aussieaviator »

My 1980 M5-235C was covered with Razorback. The topsides looked good after 27 years but the fabric on the belly was badly rotted as some previous owner had installed an automotive battery that had leaked and rotted the Razorback. When we removed the Razorback we found that some of the timber stringers had rotted and some of the little clips that hold them had coroded away. I made new stringers using good quality marine plywood. I am recovering with Ceconite 101 and painting with Dope.

I am very fortunate that I can do a lot of the work myself as my engineer is a good friend and allows me to do the work under his supervision.

Anyone is welcome to visit at Camden (NSW, Australia) :D

I believe this Maule was owned by Jeremy at some time in it's distant past.

Brian
One cannot consent to creep when one has the impulse to soar

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Maule used Razorback until 1980'81 when they changed to Ceconite 101A.
Razorback is tough and there are many original 1960's planes still covered and in good shape. Prolonged mildew and uv (paint missing) can compromise it but weight saving, turned or crushed wood formers (no longer used), rubbing cables, rusty tubes, modifications etc help a decision to recover.
To just recover is not that big a thing alone, however the cleanup and repair and sanding and repaint of the fuselage skeleton is time consuming so at 'shop time' it gets expensive. Do the grunt labour yourself and save a lot of money.
While in the stripped down state many people change cables, pulleys, formers, antenna wireing etc which adds up the cost.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

Roy

razorbacl

Post by Roy »

Mark,
My Maule is a 1965 model with original razorback. It is still in great shape.
I keep it hangared, keep the bird droppings washed off, keep a good coat of wax and it still has a great shine.
I have had to repaint or replace most of the exterior metal but the fabric is still good.

Roy
By the way I'm in Jefferson if you are ever up this way stop by and have a look at my toys.

senoiaslim

Post by senoiaslim »

Thanks Roy for the invite. I will take you up on coming up there.
Mark