Trip to AK

A catch-all forum for anything remotely related to Maule flying.
a64pilot
100+ Posts

Trip to AK

Post by a64pilot »

The wife and I and probably both kids are planning to fly to Alaska this July. I haven't been since I went with my father in a C-182 probably 35 years ago. Probably will be the only time I can ever make this trip.We might be able to make it to the fly-in this year on the way, but I would not be able to carry camping gear of any kind, so we would need lodging.
Back on topic, I'm looking for any info that I can on good places to see in the Yukon etc, places to stop,stay and see. Web sites, telephone numbers etc. Really looking to see Glaciers, mountains and history. I think we stopped at Whitehorse and I want to say Yellow knife when I was a kid, but not sure.
Any advice will be appreciated, on anything, survival gear, clearing customs etc. Things like can I carry a fire arm in the plane? I was planning to carry a 12 Ga. pump for survival if necessary.
We may have four people in the airplane, so camping is out. Figure there will be no room for more than the barest survival gear and clothes for 4 in a Maule.
Anyway any advice on stops will be greatly appreciated, just unfortunately it will be a motel or guest house etc. that we will need.

Lowflybye
100+ Posts

Post by Lowflybye »

Check your insurance policy and verify that you have coverage for Alaska, Canada, and unpaved landing strips. Often times this is an area that is overlooked and can bite you if you are unaware. Canada also requires a Canadian Certificate of Insurance in some cases.

-Chris
"To most people, the sky is the limit. To a pilot, the sky is home."

Still a bit cloudy when it comes to aviation insurance? Find some clarity: Clear on Top

UP-M5
100+ Posts

Post by UP-M5 »

you should be able to carry the shotgun with no problems. i just brought a 30-30 thru a while back- i had the proper canadian form filled out- and it went very well. you just have to pay a $25 fee. you can find the form on the canadian government website and print it out. it just wants the serial number and owners info, etc...
as far as good places to stay (depending on where your route takes you), whitehorse has a nice pilot house right in the FBO. although the price was up to $60 per night. that seemed high until you shop around town for a room. and there is a nice place to eat within walking distance.
everywhere else i stopped in canada would have involved a cab ride for a room.
a really neat spot in canada is the northern rockies lodge on muncho lake, yukon. they have a gravel strip there (they fly a twin otter off it) and it is the most beautiful place in canada. i think they have a website, too. that would be worth a few days stay with the family. the people there seemed very nice. they operate beavers and 185's off the lake. and it is right on the highway, if that is the route you are following. i would call ahead for permision to land.
northway, AK has a great diner on the field, but fuel is outrageous.
if you are looking to see glaciers, mountains, and history; stop into talkeetna. we have lots of each :D even have a local instructor that is willing to take you up to the mountain and show you the way around in your own plane. saves you $300/piece on a sceneic flight.
july is king season also, so bring your poles. there are lots of places you can fly into and get a charter or a guide, or just do it yerself.
hope this helps....

ryan~
M5-235

UP-M5
100+ Posts

Post by UP-M5 »

also.......

i didn't need a canadian certificate of insurance, but i had to have all of my other paperwok in order. between canadian and US customs i had to show: pilots license, current medical, picture ID, aircraft registration, US customs made me buy a customs sticker ($25), but nobody wanted to see my passport! which is now mandatory, btw.
M5-235

210TC
100+ Posts

Post by 210TC »

Fsdo in anchorage will send you a package upon request for the survival gear required to fly in Alaska, and Canada will accept the same. 10,000 calories per person etc,etc. Wal-mart has it all.
Seward has a Silver Salmon Derby That my daughter loved (her first time fishing). Seward is also in the center of lots of activity (Kenai).