New M4 Flying Qualities

A catch-all forum for anything remotely related to Maule flying.
morrisond

New M4 Flying Qualities

Post by morrisond »

How does the new M4 handle in comparison to a current M7? With the classic tail is it more forgiving, the same?

Is it cheaper to insure as it's 2 place?

What is a realistic cruise speed vs. an MX7 180?

Thanks

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

M4-180 and 180A cannot be compared to the M7 series but is very similar to the MX7-180 series, just a little slower and 2 doors 2 seats.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

morrisond

Post by morrisond »

Same Handling? Or would the MX7 180 with the spring gear be more forgiving in ground handling?

Lowflybye
100+ Posts

Re: New M4 Flying Qualities

Post by Lowflybye »

morrisond wrote:How does the new M4 handle in comparison to a current M7? With the classic tail is it more forgiving, the same?

Is it cheaper to insure as it's 2 place?

What is a realistic cruise speed vs. an MX7 180?

Thanks
Typically the liability insurance portion is not the expensinve part of the Maule insurance which is where 2 place vs 4 place would matter. The hull portion is typically the expensive part of Maule insurance. In the states a 2 place vs 4 place would typically only mean a difference of around 100 - 300 dollars (if that) annually. I am not licensed in Canada so I could not confidently speak about the insurance rates for you.
"To most people, the sky is the limit. To a pilot, the sky is home."

Still a bit cloudy when it comes to aviation insurance? Find some clarity: Clear on Top

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Wide aluminium spring gear is approx 50lbs heavier than oleo gear, and is 22" wider overall.
It is more stable on the ground for those who taxi too fast.
It is harder for wind under the upwind wing to pick it up, however, it is harder to keep a crosswind landing airplane up on one wheel for as long.
Oleo gear has many ski options and only one with the widegear sofar.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

morrisond wrote:Same Handling? Or would the MX7 180 with the spring gear be more forgiving in ground handling?
I'm going out on a limb because I haven't flown the aircraft. I'll bet the biggest difference in the tail is appearence, little or no difference in flying. And the wider the landing gear stance, the greater "forgivness" in ground handling. There are some drawbacks to a wide gear stance however.