Normalizing the IO-540...any insight?

A catch-all forum for anything remotely related to Maule flying.
MauleMx

Normalizing the IO-540...any insight?

Post by MauleMx »

Folks,

I'm new to maulepilots.org and am looking for some help. I'm flying a MT7-235 and hoping to use it for ambulance work at 6,500' on a 1,000' strip. I would sure like to normalize it but haven't found anyone who sells an stc nor anyone who has done a one-time conversion. Any insight? thanks!!!

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Only one, onetime STC to normalize the O540J1A5D was done that I know of. It was done in TX then the 1980 M5 235 went to Oregon and recenly went to WA. There was a company at OSH that was selling a kit of about 35lbs to normalize Lyc 540's you might find by googling around.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

MauleMx

Post by MauleMx »

Thanks for the tip. I have been googling the net, but haven't found anything yet. If anyone would have the info on the osh contact, I appreciate it.

Lowflybye
100+ Posts

Post by Lowflybye »

MauleMx wrote:Thanks for the tip. I have been googling the net, but haven't found anything yet. If anyone would have the info on the osh contact, I appreciate it.
Since you know the year make and model of the aircraft as well as the state that it was done in you should be able to call Okie City and ask for a copy of the STC.

Airman Certification or Aircraft Registry
Ms. Carrie LaFollette, FOIA Coordinator
FAA Mike Monroney Aeronautical Center
Civil Aviation Registry, AFS-700
P.O. Box 25082
Oklahoma City, OK 73125

Phone: (405) 954-4331
Fax: (405) 954-5759

The FAA is notorious for being slow to respond so you can also contact: Federal Aviation Title Company at (405) 682-3400 They can send you a full list of any paperwork filed for an aircraft. They will be the fastest response (3-4 days) but will cost you around $75 or so. You will need the aircraft info for this one, i.e.- N#, owner, etc.

If you do not know the aircraft info then you should stick with Okie City and tell them the engine model nember and what STC you are looking for. They should be able to reference the engine model number as well.

Good luck.

-Low
"To most people, the sky is the limit. To a pilot, the sky is home."

Still a bit cloudy when it comes to aviation insurance? Find some clarity: Clear on Top

Kirk
100+ Posts

Post by Kirk »

Finally the grey matter stirred enough for me to remember where I saw info on turbo-normalizing. AOPA did it to their Rockwell Commander for the sweepstakes in 2005.

They used: RCM Normalizing
P.O. Box 628
Big Piney, WY 83113
307/276-3386

For the Commander it added 26lbs, allowed 100% power to 16,500' and added 10 knots at 8000'

Another link to the article is: http://www.aopa.org/pilot/features/2005/sweeps0511.html

Just go to AOPA.org and enter search for turbo normalizing.

Kirk