Newbie asks Maule vs C180 and other Q's

A catch-all forum for anything remotely related to Maule flying.
iceman
100+ Posts

Post by iceman »

OK sorry I didn't see the partner part. At 80thou in a 180 you'r looking at a 50's 180 maybe early 60's. but a pretty nice and a lot newer maule. as for the partner in a tail dragger part... I repeat. good luck. :D
Iceman

flyer
100+ Posts

Post by flyer »

JINKS

The Cessna 180 and the Maule are completely different planes that really have different missions. You should decide what type of flying that you want to do.

The Maule is less expensive up front. Both planes have continually increased in value if kept in good shape. You can rationalize it as a very good investment.

The cost of insurance for a Maule will be much higher than an equally valued Cessna 180. You might get estimates.

The age of a plane is a consideration but the condition, care, etc. are even more important.

Each group thinks their plane is the best. It is difficult to be objective.

You get what you pay for.

Good luck

flyer
Flyer

iceman
100+ Posts

Post by iceman »

Well they both are back country airplanes to say the least. If you want more and differing oppinions go to backcountry pilots.org. They also have a great collection of member photo galleries you can look at. My fav is Yellowmaules. since I hope to one day fly to alaska. You can view his pix for an hour.
Iceman

AK Mauler

Post by AK Mauler »

If I was in a situation where I couldn't lay down the bucks for a Maule, I would try and get something to continue to build time and develop skills. Maybe a Citabria or a C-170. There are some good deals to be had, also a lot of junk to be sure. The important thing is to keep flying and maybe consider the Maule as a longer range goal.

Good luck.
Jon Conger
MX7-180AC
N4261E