Portland area strips

A catch-all forum for anything remotely related to Maule flying.
MikeW
100+ Posts

Portland area strips

Post by MikeW »

I am looking for a place to stop for the night in the Portland, OR area. Some place with a grass strip, fuel and a spot to pitch a tent for a night. I was looking at possibly Chehalem near Newburg, or Skyport just northwest of Hillsboro. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks

MikeW

Mr. Ed

place to camp

Post by Mr. Ed »

Might try KSPB. Scappoose is not too far from PDX. The runway is paved not grass but my buddy with a supercub on tundra tires lands between the runway and taxiway. They usually have the cheapest fuel in the PDX area and there is a campground on the northwest end of the runway. Place to eat right across the street and fuel is on the other side of the runway. Have fun.

MikeW
100+ Posts

Post by MikeW »

Ok thanks for the info. I appreciate the tip.

Mike

YELLOWMAULE
100+ Posts

Post by YELLOWMAULE »

Look up the Flying M, great place just West of Hillsboro, good food, drink, rooms or tent. Treat the strip like a one way & touch down at the pond.
You won't regret it.

donknee
100+ Posts

flying m

Post by donknee »

I believe the flying M closed for good. There should be a post around about it (maybe on BCP). I wish it hadn't, since I never had the opportunity to visit there. Some friends flew in there last summer and were the only ones there and someone flew in as they were leaving. We really need to support places like this...or they disappear. I will check it out and post if I find anyting new. :roll:
1976 M5-235-C

donknee
100+ Posts

flying m

Post by donknee »

Found this at BCP : http://www.backcountrypilot.org/forum/p ... =7985#7985

It's official...
1976 M5-235-C