north to alaska

A catch-all forum for anything remotely related to Maule flying.
UP-M5
100+ Posts

north to alaska

Post by UP-M5 »

i just completed the longest cross country my log book has ever seen.
michigan to alaska.
29.5 hours
3100 miles
7 days total. 2 were spent on the ground, and only 1 of the other 5 was a whole day of flying. i saw 40 kt winds, 1 mile vis, snow, rain, turbulence, and headwinds. but i also saw calm, smooth, severe clear winter days in the mountains with a tailwind. it was the greatest thing i have ever done, and i learned an infinite amount about me, my airplane, and the planet we fly around.
i had 1 breakdown in montana, and would like to thank jeremy and montana maule for all their help. the local fbo was also a great help. it seems my prop governor decided to go 'tango uniform' as we departed montana for canada. so we turned around and landed and made some phone calls. an overhaul/exchange was only a day away. and that day was spent bucking rivets in the air scoop box that had somehow developed a few cracks. with that patched back up, and the arrival of the prop gov early the next morning (which is a bit of a rarity in that part of the world i hear) i was running up, making final adjustments, and blasting off for canada by late morning. it only slowed us down long enough to meet a whole bunch of really great people, and have the first cook out of the spring. luckily montana was our warmest stop by far at 55 degrees. that compared favorably to the upper highway where it was usually 10 below, and 20 below a few times (coulda been a lot worse :shock: )
as far as the rest of the trip: the canadian rockies are beautiful- even though we spent most of that part of the trip up at 10 grand due to weather down below, canadian av gas was less than i was expecting, the maule cabin heaters worked better than i was expecting, customs was a breeze- even with a rifle on board, and i found out that my friendly little grass strip loving taildragger is a serious trans-continental flying machine.
now that we are here we have been doing a lot of ski flying with friends (mostly super cubs), and just enjoying the other end of the airspeed indicator. i even landed on the lake in front of the grocery store this weekend to buy groceries :D
its been an adventure, and i look forward to meeting lots more of you, and doing lots more fun flying. i'll get a few pics up when i get a chance.
M5-235

chetharris
100+ Posts

Welocme

Post by chetharris »

Congrats on your cross country. I flew to Montana and back a couple of summers ago, but by God it was summer man. I am sure everything was beautiful. How much time did you spend pre-heating? I had a great time, but I sure was glad to be home flying around Alaska --so much to explore.

Once I get back into a plane, hoping it will be another Maule, we should explore a little back country.

Chet

AK Mauler

Post by AK Mauler »

I made the same trip in 2005 starting in Indiana, but I waited till June. I still had two weather days, and had to depart Whitehorse on an expedited SVFR departure to get away before the fog rolled over the runway. If you answer the questions right the Canadian customs is quite simple. Much better than what I had to put up with in Northway, AK where the lady would not let me leave the yellow box until she was done with all the questions and paperwork, and I had to go bad! I'm sure you all can relate. I mean I was doubled over, but no... She made me suffer through the endless beaurocratic BS, I did not want to push my luck with someone wearing a gun. I did see one bad experience at Whitecourt Alberta where the FBO charged the first guy up to the pumps a $50. call out fee, which was during the middle of the day on a week day. I thought it was bad form, but it was only at Whitecourt, somewhere to avoid on the next trip. Welcome to Alaska and be safe up here. The supercub crowd do a lot of off airport landings. Everyone makes their own decisions and sets their own limits, so be careful. There are a few places I go, but I like at least 1000 feet, even if I'm light. Having something go wrong can really be expensive and life threatening.

Good Luck!
Jon Conger
MX7-180AC
N4261E

UP-M5
100+ Posts

Post by UP-M5 »

a fuel stop in watson lake, yukon. LOTS of snow there, and lots of blue sky too.

and a stop on a lake to visit friends

M5-235

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Looking good with the wheel skis. Good story.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide