Oil temp

A catch-all forum for anything remotely related to Maule flying.
Mr. Ed

Oil temp

Post by Mr. Ed »

I have an MX7-180 ('96). Maule manual says warm up till engine instruments are in the normal range (green arc). Even with my block heater and not too cold weather in the Pacific NW, getting the oil that warm takes much time. Lycoming manual says it's warm enough to take off when you can advance the power quickly and not have the engine hesitate. Any thoughts from y'all? And yes, I do know that there is an adjustment for the oil cooler air. It's fully closed for the cool weather and oil temp usually runs in the lower half of the green arc.

Skystrider
100+ Posts

Post by Skystrider »

Is your oil cooler adjustment the same as my oil cooler adjustment? (duct tape) :lol:

I was taught to get the needles off the pegs and follow the Lycoming manual. As the man was heard to say, passing the 20th floor after falling off the building, "So far, so good!"
1980 Maule M5-180C
Rod Hatcher

Mr. Ed

Post by Mr. Ed »

Nah, Maule must have hired an engineer between '80 and '96. Now they use a pivoting flap of aluminum that rotates over the oil cooler duct intake. YOu can even reach it if you have 32 " arms! :roll: Been thinking of tieing a rope to it, running it through the firewall and hooking it to a big knob in the cockpit so I could adjust it in flight. :lol: Your technique is the one I've been using since I read through the Lycoming manual.

Hottshot
100+ Posts

Post by Hottshot »

Yep, as long as the needle is off the peg she is ready. as for the duct tape I use aluminum tape now but will have a adjustable set up on the panel next year. 8)

I will try to post a picture as soon as I find it again :roll: