Rebuilding N9234N 1993 Maule M-7 235

A catch-all forum for anything remotely related to Maule flying.
Island Flyer
100+ Posts

Post by Island Flyer »

Thanks Jeremy we are both trying hard and really enjoying some of the discussions that inevitably come up when we look at any changes or for that matter, why something is done a certain way. Meticulous attention to details can save my life so that becomes a pretty big motivator. It makes me realize as a pilot why a lot of thought is given to a design and how important the mechanic's job and process is. Even though I knew Tim was great before,I have gained a whole new level of respect for Tim and his abilities. It's not just about putting a bunch of parts together, it's why you put them together the right way, no ifs ands or buts.

You are right Jeremy about the aileron and flap lengths, I'll have to correct the blog. Where you said to add the two rivets to the first rib on the outbound from the wing root trailing edge, do they want to be positioned between the last two rivets and outside toward the trailing edge or between the last three rivets? We can easily add them. Thanks.
Best regards,

Rhys

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

There are three rivets holding the bottom skin to the rib and often, radius cracks will develope. Adding two rivets (one between each existing) on each wing stops the problem.
Later wings have five rivets already.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

Island Flyer
100+ Posts

Post by Island Flyer »

We installed the intercom, audio and mic jacks, tested the new panel lights, took apart the doors, pulled off the upholstery and started making new floorboards. Here is the link http://web.me.com/rhysspoor/Site_2/Blog ... oards.html
Best regards,

Rhys

Island Flyer
100+ Posts

Post by Island Flyer »

Two more entries on the blog. I removed the paint off the wing tips http://web.me.com/rhysspoor/Site_2/Blog ... Paint.html and the new interior arrived http://web.me.com/rhysspoor/Site_2/Blog ... rives.html. The final avionics hook up happens next week and it should be in the paint booth the following week. The end is in site.
Best regards,

Rhys

Island Flyer
100+ Posts

Post by Island Flyer »

The fabric has been taped, the panel is beginning to fill in but with one snafu being the Garmin 106A CDI was longer than we had thought so we had to reposition some instruments. I also got my first taste of building up an airplane seat, it's harder to do than it looks. Here is the link http://web.me.com/rhysspoor/Site_2/Blog ... Seats.html
Best regards,

Rhys

Hottshot
100+ Posts

Post by Hottshot »

Very Nice!

Island Flyer
100+ Posts

Post by Island Flyer »

Co-pilot seat was a challenge and that darn tube in the panel is probably not going to have the last word. http://web.me.com/rhysspoor/Site_2/Blog ... Again.html
Best regards,

Rhys

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Rhys,
you might want to weigh the cost of a yellow tagged HSI which incorporates one indicator, in place of the DG. Sell the DG and no costly messing with the diagonal tube.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

Island Flyer
100+ Posts

Post by Island Flyer »

Hello Jeremy,
I did think of an HSI earlier but the price made it a non- starter. I hadn't really explored the yellow tag idea but will. I will follow up with how the tube moving idea turns out, but it maybe very cost effective with the way Tim can do it. What it really will hinge on is the FAA inspector's opinion. Tim has been doing some research as he always does with an idea like this, and so far we can't find a structural reason it couldn't work. Obviously we only want to do it if it is safe. Of course all of this would be a whole lot easier if we had pursued this before the panel and fabric were on the plane.

And thanks for your recommendation on a source for the foam for the seats (it was in an earlier thread I found on this site). And to everyone else, this forum has been amazingly helpful to our project and I have appreciated the suggestions we have received and continue to receive.
Best regards,

Rhys

Kirk
100+ Posts

Post by Kirk »

Mid Continent makes some 2 1/4 indicators that will fit there.
I ran into the same problem when I installed a KLN94 and ended up putting the indicator to the right of the stack like you have so far.

I've since purchased a 2 1/4 indicator and it will fit, but have not done the install yet. Something else is always coming up eating time and money. :evil:

Kirk

Island Flyer
100+ Posts

Post by Island Flyer »

If the time and money thing just didn't keep coming up this would be fun :wink: I didn't even know there was a 2 1/4 CDI. I have to follow that track also.
Best regards,

Rhys

Kirk
100+ Posts

Post by Kirk »

Others have swapped a turn coordinator into that location. Don't remember if you have an autopilot turn coordinator. If not, a standard turn coordinator would work.

I don't like breaking up the standard layout like that and would hate to see you go that route with such a good looking project.

If you find a 2 1/4 indicator that works for your GPS and will fit; keep an eye on the used market. A lot of indicators are getting pulled right now for glass upgrades. The one for my KLN94 retails for $2600 but I found a good used one for $1000.

Kirk

Island Flyer
100+ Posts

Post by Island Flyer »

First of all, thanks to everyone that sent suggestions on how to handle the "tube in the way problem". Everyone of them would work well. In the end, we went back to plan A as far as instrument position and moved the tube. Tim got an FAA Form 337 Field Approval before he started and it's done. So check out the blog on this and a bit on the front seats, tailfeathers and the cowling. http://web.me.com/rhysspoor/Site_2/Blog ... wling.html
Best regards,

Rhys

Kirk
100+ Posts

Post by Kirk »

Wow, I never imagined getting approval for moving the tube would be possible. You've got a sharp IA there.

Looking very nice!

Kirk

erik van veenen
100+ Posts

Blog

Post by erik van veenen »

Fantastic, the best Blog I have ever read about "re-doing" a Maule.

I look forward to every new entry like an episode in real TV "thriller" !

Keep it up and please don't spare us any details. Erik van Veenen