I'm now a Maule owner

A catch-all forum for anything remotely related to Maule flying.
a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

Bill,
I bought the 1010 wheels and STC from Wup at AK Bushwheels. I bought the tires and tubes from the manufacturer as we are an OEM at work. The tires are "unbuffed". I see no advantage to "buffed" tires.
I don't know of any way to use the 29" Airhawks without the 10" wheels. The best thing about the wheels is that the brake calipers actually sit inside of the wheels, making it pretty much impossible to damage the brakes from rocks, stumps etc. Expensive, but you get what you pay for.
My only complaint is I would like some kind of cover for the axle. If you look at a 10" Cleveland wheel like we use on the Thrush, there is a small cover that keeps dust etc. out of the wheel bearings. I would like such a cover for the 1010 wheel.

RobBurson
100+ Posts

Post by RobBurson »

Joseph, welcome. I'm a little south of you in Troutdale, Oregon KTTD. I fly a M7 235 B4B5 low compression on 87 Mogas. This is my best area to run. 7000-11000 MSL 20 MP 2400 RPM 135-140 ground speed in statue MPH GPS no wind. 12.7-13.3 GPH.

I think Electronic International out of Bend, Oregon has the best insterments available. I have been to the factory. Great folks.

http://www.buy-ei.com/

Rob

51E

Post by 51E »

Thanks for that, Rob. I'll try it. And I'll look into EI.

TomD
100+ Posts

Instruments

Post by TomD »

I think EI and JPI are probably Ford vs. Chevy ( Honda vs Toyota?).

I have a JPI rig and it has been absolutely bullet proof reliable for the seven years I have had it. You actually get a real person on the phone w/ tech service. Since EI is a small company I am assuming you get a real person there as well.

Tom

210TC
100+ Posts

Post by 210TC »

Enjoy your new ride.

51E

Post by 51E »

Thanks, I am enjoying it. It's not quite as agile as my Citabria was, but I didn't expect it to be. After my first 5 hours and 12 landings, though, I'm beginning to think it might be quite satisfying in the back country. And my wife has already suggested we make another flight to Alaska. (It will surely be a more comfortable ride in the M-6, compared to the Citabria.)

Yesterday, I began experimenting with the -7 flaps and, though I find it a little hard to believe, it appears to me that I gain 8 mph (120-128mph). Why don't other aeroplanes use this remarkable feature?

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

If you get 8 mph out of reflexing the flaps, you do better than most. The lighter you are and the more dense the air is, the better reflexing the flaps works. The Maule's wings are not like most other airplanes. Simply put there is too much wing and therefore lift for decent cruise efficiency, but this excess of lift comes in handy on short final to a short strip.
If I were to reflex the flaps on my C-210 for example, I would expect to find it would slow me down.
I believe the Maule has the greatest difference between stall and level flight speed than any other aircraft in it's catagory when the difference is expressed in percent. Reflexing the flaps is I'm sure one reason why. I suspect a big motor on a little airplane has something to do with it as well.
You never answered if you have the droop tips on your M-6. If you do, then like me, you have the small ailerons and the small rudder. The early model M-6 can if not properly respected bite you, actually, I believe all Maules have a couple of handling quirks, but the early model M-6's have to be a little more respected than most.
Jeremy would know better than me on that.

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

There is a marked difference between the 1981-1986 M6 wing with droop tip, 53"aileron and shorter rudder chord, than the later M6 with squared tip, longer aileron and larger chord rudder. This is especially felt on floats.
There is a kit available to upgrade.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

51E

Post by 51E »

I don't have droop tips.

I'll check the airspeed gain with -7 flaps at different weights. I was not light the other day, with full tanks and a heavy passenger.

I understand more clearly why other aircraft wouldn't benefit from reflexed flaps. Thanks for your note.

Joseph