How Fast?

A catch-all forum for anything remotely related to Maule flying.
iceman
100+ Posts

Post by iceman »

I consider my M4 a pacer on steroids. It flies much the same and lands about the same... I could drop in on a dime with my tripacer because of the short wings and the M4 is pretty much the same animal. No float is a definite plus in the mountains and short strips... I was a little disapointed in the top speed and cruise speed but I figure it's about right... I'm sure there are faster m4's and M5's. Johns is faster than me and he has the same engine. It's probably in the rigging... I never have had it checked by a real rigging expert but it flies straight... yet that doesn't mean it's rigged properly either.
Iceman

SkyMaule
100+ Posts

Post by SkyMaule »

John, I have seen the same numbers on my M5 210C. I have the good yr 26in. tires. I saw about 142 with the 8.50's I borrowed and 148 with the 8.00's I used to have on. If I'm not bucking a headwind, and have a ways to go, I like to go up high and run lean of peak. I get 128 mph TAS on 7.5 gallons / hr. at 11,000 ft.. That's better mileage than my Chevy Pickup!
1975 Maule M5-210C

YELLOWMAULE
100+ Posts

Post by YELLOWMAULE »

On 29's, 50* ROP, <5500' 24"/2400 = 130-135mph on skis, I add 3 mph. and fuel burn is about 9.2-9.5 gph. >5500', speed remains about the same but fuel burn can go down as low as mid 8's. My only issue is I never get to fly the plane light. It's always full of gear! 8)
I have found that once in a while, the consumption will drop with no apparent reason. Chet & I went out the other day for about 2 hours chasing each other. Many drags at the cabin, T&G's here and there and the average was only 8.4 when I topped off the next night. go figure
Live it like its your last day.

Screech

Post by Screech »

I have a 180c with spring gear and am thinking of getting bush wheels. Not sure if I should get 29" or the 31" tires after reading some posts here.
About 50% of the time I will be landing on hardtop. Also I need a place to get a shim for my left main wheel of 4% before any of this can happen, anyone?

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

I beleive the 31"s are lighter for not that much difference in height and contact patch? Not sure what you want to shim, but ABW sells the shims for between wheel and brake disc to get tire clearance at brake caliper?
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

Screech wrote:I have a 180c with spring gear and am thinking of getting bush wheels. Not sure if I should get 29" or the 31" tires after reading some posts here.
About 50% of the time I will be landing on hardtop. Also I need a place to get a shim for my left main wheel of 4% before any of this can happen, anyone?
Unless your independantly wealthy "real" bushwheels aren't for you. Call Wup to be sure, but I don't think real bushwheels live very long on pavement.
No, I think what you want is 29" Airhawk's on 10" wheels, which is pretty much a standard 4 ply tire with an innertube and as such will last a long time on pavement. They come complete, mounted with greased wheel bearings already installed and new brake disks, just pop your old wheel / tires off and on with the new ones. Takes an IA though because it is an STC .
I don't know squat about spring gear, are you talking about a tapered shim for alignment purposes?

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

There are different tapered shims available for alignment of camber and castor.
They fit between the gear and axle boss.
Make sure you have fitted the updated HD landing gear straps and bolts, we supply as a kit, because alignment changes with this application.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

Screech

Shims and tires

Post by Screech »

Have talked to Jeremy and the 29" Airhawk's with 10" wheels are the ones.

Maule is making the shim and I do have the updated straps and bolts so things are moving along. Jeremy was a huge help and a pleasure to talk to.
Thanks everyone. Perry

Hottshot
100+ Posts

Post by Hottshot »

Ok let me interject a little info here...

The Bushwheels are not going to melt off in an instant after you get onto the hard surface (asphalt etc.) Now for the most part the 29x11x10's are a great compromise when it comes to operations on hard surface runways and not getting too ruff. The main thing to remember when looking at big tires and are worried about "The Wear Factor" The main thing that will affect the wear of the tires is "TAXI TIME" and "GEAR ALIGHNMENT" we hear people talk about TO and Landings all the time true they do play a role in wear but Taxi is the main issue, I have had people tell me that they will taxi to the grass strip and take off to avoid wear on the tires well that is great but if you have to taxi 4 miles to get to a grass strip to take off rather than 30 yards to the normal Runway and a 500' TO roll on a hard surface runway then you are missing the issue and yes the tires will be done in no time.

I hope that helps.

jmtgt
100+ Posts

Post by jmtgt »

Hottshot wrote:Ok let me interject a little info here...

The Bushwheels are not going to melt off in an instant after you get onto the hard surface (asphalt etc.) Now for the most part the 29x11x10's are a great compromise when it comes to operations on hard surface runways and not getting too ruff. The main thing to remember when looking at big tires and are worried about "The Wear Factor" The main thing that will affect the wear of the tires is "TAXI TIME" and "GEAR ALIGHNMENT" we hear people talk about TO and Landings all the time true they do play a role in wear but Taxi is the main issue, I have had people tell me that they will taxi to the grass strip and take off to avoid wear on the tires well that is great but if you have to taxi 4 miles to get to a grass strip to take off rather than 30 yards to the normal Runway and a 500' TO roll on a hard surface runway then you are missing the issue and yes the tires will be done in no time.

I hope that helps.
Um Wup, how do you wear out these 29-10x10 Airhawks??? I think I am going on 3 maybe 4 years now and I operate out of Reno/Tahoe International. They work great on all the ruff stuff I have the courage to go on.

Hottshot
100+ Posts

Post by Hottshot »

John--

You are almost there from the look of things last weekend.... infact I think you need to order a set today and a set next month for back up.... you can never be too carefull

Bill has had the 35's on his Maule for 4/5 years now and they are doing very well and as you know we are based on asphalt as well. After I wear out my 31's I am gunna try a set of 35's :shock: