Maule Purchase

A catch-all forum for anything remotely related to Maule flying.
charlieboy

Post by charlieboy »

Hi, I have a m5 180c, on 29"abw and at 24MP and 24rpm sit on 120mph
I used to use cessna 185 and wouldnt go back to it unless I had to, The
maule can work the same strips at a lot less cost you just have to put a bit more thought into it. I guess Im just saying the maule keeps leaving a grin on my face.

rjb
100+ Posts

Post by rjb »

My hangar price is just just under $500 a month and I'm happy with that price for a 4 year old hangar. I average flying once or twice a week durations of 2.5 to 3.5 hours. I keep current VFR and IFR charts as well as AFDs. I've got subscriptions to AOPA, EAA, IFR, IFR Refresher, my airport pilots' association, weathermeister and I'm sure that's not all. I plan a fuel burn rate of 10 gph for cross country and try to support my local FBO even though their fuel prices aren't the lowest in the neighborhood.

For liability and hull insurance of $140K (it'll be considerably less next renewal) , my insurance is, I try not to remember, well over $4000.

$10/hour in fuel to go faster and several hundred dollars a year maintenance for a 235 seem to me noise.

There is mountain flying and there is common sense high altitude density flying. 2500' AGL on a 95 F day with rising terrain with trees at the end is eye-opening. The former may be optional; I don't think the latter is in California.

kakkenmc
100+ Posts

Post by kakkenmc »

I got a 235hp MX7 due to availability. It's easy to find and very handy to have enough rear ballast (e.g. tie down stakes, cleaning supplies, oil) to make nose heavy a near non issue. More horsepower is also a helpful safety issue in several everyday situations.

Kirk
100+ Posts

Post by Kirk »

My M5-235C burns only about 8 GPH in the pattern or just putzing around sight seeing. Cross country @ 65% is 12 GPH and 125 knots (147 MPH). I have to go high here in the eastern mountain region so 235 is a must have for me.

If you are in the flatlands I bet you could be happy with the 180, especially with a constant speed prop. The 235 are so plentiful though, that you may find you would have to pay more for a 180 HP. If that is the case, I would not pay more for less HP!

Kirk

SkyMaule
100+ Posts

Post by SkyMaule »

OK, boys. Where's the IO-360 continental guys? Gotta throw in a pitch for the M5-210C. I really like this airplane/engine combo. Before I put the bigger tires on, I was seeing 137 mph lean of peak at 8.5 gallons per hour in that 9 to 10 thousand foot range. ROP was 141 and about 11GPH. I lost 8mph going from 8.00 tires to the Good year 26 in. tires. That's ok, they're worth it. This engine is fuel injected. I think the cowling looks better without the chute on the bottom that a 235 has. It is lighter than a 235. I'm in Gillette Wyoming today. They are overhauling an IO-360 continental with 2500 hours on it that has never been apart. It was a rental airplane. I really love the plane and the engine. Tom, don't overlook the M5 or M4 210C. I don't think you'll find an owner of one that would discourage you. Maule's are great airplanes. Enjoy your hunt. My advice is spend a little more to get one that has been well taken care of.
Mark
1975 Maule M5-210C

N9657

Post by N9657 »

N9657 wrote:I have had a M5 180 for four years now and love the plane. My prop is a constant speed and I think it makes a big difference in performance. I cruise at 24 mp and 25 rpm and indicate 128 mph. It is also quieter with the constant speed prop. From what I have read on this forum the 235 is a bit nose heavy on approach. If I could get an injected 0360 rather than a carborated engine I think it would be ideal with the constant speed prop.

jmtgt
100+ Posts

Post by jmtgt »

SkyMaule wrote:OK, boys. Where's the IO-360 continental guys? Gotta throw in a pitch for the M5-210C. I really like this airplane/engine combo. Before I put the bigger tires on, I was seeing 137 mph lean of peak at 8.5 gallons per hour in that 9 to 10 thousand foot range. ROP was 141 and about 11GPH. I lost 8mph going from 8.00 tires to the Good year 26 in. tires. That's ok, they're worth it. This engine is fuel injected. I think the cowling looks better without the chute on the bottom that a 235 has. It is lighter than a 235. I'm in Gillette Wyoming today. They are overhauling an IO-360 continental with 2500 hours on it that has never been apart. It was a rental airplane. I really love the plane and the engine. Tom, don't overlook the M5 or M4 210C. I don't think you'll find an owner of one that would discourage you. Maule's are great airplanes. Enjoy your hunt. My advice is spend a little more to get one that has been well taken care of.
Mark
I love mine. Never ran LOP. What injectors you running? The Continental injectors or GAMI? I have never talked to some one that ran LOP with our engine. Look forward to your info on this.

There is a lack of prop options if you are trying to hot rod this model. There are some 337s with other hot rod props but I do not have the $$ for a new prop right now! lol

YELLOWMAULE
100+ Posts

Post by YELLOWMAULE »

I'm with John, great little engine. Reliable strong, fuel efficient and smooth.
Bruce Harlow told me some time ago that the M-4 210 was probly the best balanced and smothest of all the models. I have had an opportunity to fly a couple and would likely agree. The M-6 235 is a demon off the ground. The M-7 gives the room of an RV and the 220 Franklin is amazing. Just about everyone with the 235 is very happy with it.
There's a number of things that work for me with the Peril; It's light, 1320# (yes Ryan, on paper :) ) with the Razor back of '68 and several layers of paint. It has a lot of rudder authority, it's well balanced and trims immediately to hands off. Even with a respectable load on board, I have no effort working off confined strips. It's still pretty quick @ 130 mph on 29's and at sealevel averages a 9.5-9.8 gpm at 24/24. Last weekend saw several hours of >5000' and 8.9-9.2 gpm with 7 landings at 2-3k'. I have 125 hours for the year on this new engine.
The draw backs, this is an expensive engine if you have to OH it. Like John mentioned, only one prop on the TCDS and it's no longer made. There's an 82" that has a couple 337's so there's what's available.
Live it like its your last day.

taildragger
100+ Posts

1975 210/C

Post by taildragger »

Just my .02 worth. I too have been very satisfied with the Continental IO 360. The aircraft performs great for me but admittedly I am not in the mountains. I have not experienced a major o/h and hear how it is expensive but it is the same engine as the Cessna 337 and Hawk XP and those guys seem to manage.

Scott

jmtgt
100+ Posts

Post by jmtgt »

I researched an overhaul to new (not to limits) and it was about $2k more than the Lycoming 540. BUT if you need the new crank that will cost you some extra $$$$ big time.

DonMc

Post by DonMc »

There are three things you can never have enough of.

TIME MONEY HORSEPOWER!

The Maule is no exception. My first Maule was a MX7180CSPROP. A great airplane and loads of fun. I bought an M7260 new from Jeremy. No regrets. Another great airplane and even more fun! I can pull the throttle back and save gas or push it in and go like hell off short strips at high altitude.

Go for it!

DonMc
260BD

MauleWacko
100+ Posts

Post by MauleWacko »

:o
Last edited by MauleWacko on Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TomS

Post by TomS »

diebroke wrote: Just throw a couple of golden retrievers in the back for ballast. :lol:
Fantastic!! I guess my two 50lb labs would work. Ill have to get some of those doggie head muffs .

Thanks- Tom

TomS

Post by TomS »

MauleWaco wrote:Here here, Get all the horsepower you can. If you don't you will wish you had!
I am looking at a few m5235's because of this reoccurring recommendation. Ill know on Tuesday what the insurance will be... and will be better informed to make a decision.

Thanks MauleWaco...

-Tom

TomS

Post by TomS »

rjb wrote:For liability and hull insurance of $140K (it'll be considerably less next renewal) , my insurance is, I try not to remember, well over $4000.
Ouch rjb.... I hope that an older Maule will insure for less... I have been working with AOPA since I am a member.
Thanks

-Tom