Tax man cometh

A catch-all forum for anything remotely related to Maule flying.
VA Maule
100+ Posts

Tax man cometh

Post by VA Maule »

Need some help folks.

Got several new folks appointed to our local board of supervisors, theses were not elected due to several others not completing their terms for various reasons. I doubt that they will get elected come November but they sure are causing a ruckus now!!

They are proposing to double the aircraft tax . I’ve been down this road before as I suspect several of us have. I’ve tried to explain to them that airplanes don’t depreciate as other types of vehicles do in fact they appreciate that’s why several states including the People’s Republic of Virginia ( formerly known as the Commonwealth of Virginia) allow them their own individual rate line listening, as opposed to lumping them in the same group as all other motor vehicles. Can’t get them understand

Now for the help can anyone provide me with what was the original purchase price for a 1999 (+/-) Maule MX or MXT 180A a copy of the document would be just the ticket to prove to these Goat F¥€£er’s That there current assessment value is greater than the original purchase price.

I’ll check with Maule tomorrow they might be able to tell me exactly what mine cost new . But if they won’t or don’t have records from 24 years ago. Anyone else who can help a fellow out would be more appreciated.
The best Government, is less Government.

andy
Site Admin

Re: Tax man cometh

Post by andy »

My 1986 MX-7-180 cost me $51,175 when I purchased it in 1998. Not quite what you were looking for but maybe helpful. I've had my own "discussions" with the county tax office about the value of my airplane. They use an aircraft "Blue Book" to value the airplane but it doesn't take into account airframe/engine hours or a host of other factors like condition of the fabric, etc. I ended up appealing the valuation and countering with a VREF valuation using my AOPA membership. They hate appeals since it involves a lot of work on their part but it's in the State law and they have to do it.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

VA Maule
100+ Posts

Post by VA Maule »

Thanks Andy you’re information it’s exactly what I was looking for and ratio in proportionally agrees with what Brent Maule shared with me today that was the original purchase order cost for my airplane being just a little newer then yours.

Anybody else who’s willing to share their information would be truly appreciated, ‘cause when you go up against “City Hall” so to speak you need all the ammunition you can get.

On another note gotta give Maule a GREAT BIG” ATT’a Boy “ because when you call and the Big boss himself answers the phone and says “ l can help you out with that “ and thence proceeds to do exactly that and promptly too, that’s a genuine class act.

Brent and I had a great conversation about bureaucrats, difficult civil servants, difficult OEM’s, and of course airplanes . On the airplane subject he shared that Maule Flight now has a supply of the much needed backing plates for the fixed pitch 180A’s and they are dealing directly with the subcontractor metal spinning company that was the original supplier to Sensenich to fabricate some Spinners too as Sensenich has abandoned these components leaving some of us in a bad way with cracks and scratching our head how keeping these certified airplane airworthy. So great news Maule is doing exactly what they do the right thing and making arrangements to get us the parts we need to Keep’em Flying :D
The best Government, is less Government.

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

Glad I could help VA Maule. I found the Aircraft Blue Book site that the county is using at https://aircraftbluebook.com . You need a subscription to use it and I don't have one. I was able to use VREF through my AOPA membership but they don't offer access to Aircraft Blue Book. They also don't list my 1986 MX-7-180 but I found a 1985 MX-7-180. When I tried to select the engine from the drop down list, it didn't have a 180 hp choice. Not the best informed model list!
Andy
1986 MX7-180

DavZeeMXT

Post by DavZeeMXT »

That’s huge news about the prop spinner and back plate. Maybe you could put up a new post with all that information in case someone is looking for that. Thanks for sharing it!
1997 Maule MXT-7-180A
Based KSFZ