Big Big Tires and snow

A catch-all forum for anything remotely related to Maule flying.
Maximus

Big Big Tires and snow

Post by Maximus »

I've had three GoodYear 35 x 15 x 6 tundra tires kicking around my hangar for years now. They came from First Air back in the days they ran Super Cubs in the high Arctic. After reading all you guys talking about how good Bushwheels are I'm starting to get interested. Most of the past winters here in Ontario we haven't had enough snow to build a snowman (except this year 8 feet so far!) so I'm thinking bushwheels would be a good compromise over skis in light snow. What do you guys think is a safe snow depth for the big tires? Also, can I use the 35" wheels on an M-4?
Check out my private strip on Google Earth at 45.49.57 N 76.45.44 W. Annual fly-in last week of July. Wheels & floats welcome.

iceman
100+ Posts

Post by iceman »

good question. I would be interested in knowing what tires are ok for the M4 without having to get any approval from the feds. I now have 800's but maybe later I would like to go to a bigger tire. Not that I need it since I only fly to dirt less than 25 percent of the time.
Iceman

Hottshot
100+ Posts

Post by Hottshot »

The 850's are on Maules TCDS so you can run them with a log book entry, as for the 35" Goodyears I would love to see those and know what they truly wiegh in at, we have the data from the FAA but I would like to see some real numbers. And as far as snow depth thats a tuff one....

YELLOWMAULE
100+ Posts

Post by YELLOWMAULE »

1/3 the total height of the tire is the general rule. Then you have to guess the type of snow...... Crusty, light & grainy, wet, they all are different. What works in one may not work in another.
Not long ago, there was a guy with 31's that tried a lake w/o verifing snow depth. Balled it up on landing. Seems the snow was knee deep or better, maybe he should have held out for 35's!

aero101
100+ Posts

Watch out in the snow

Post by aero101 »

Watch out in wet or crusty snow and snow drifts can be a big problem... As in some light conditions they can be very hard to identify!! 1/3 tire height is good rule of thumb depending on type of snow and how well you know the ground in landing areas? For me, skis are worth the expense when compared to "on your back because snow deeper then you thought?"
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

UP-M5
100+ Posts

Post by UP-M5 »

there are still a few sets of goodyear 35's kicking around up here. they are only slightly larger than the 31" ABW and nowhere near as big as the 35" ABW. they require a field approval to run here in the US, not sure what you need in canada. all the ones here in AK are on supercubs, but i would think they would work great on an M4.
M5-235

Maximus

Big Tires

Post by Maximus »

I weighed the 35" tires at 19 lbs. each including the tube. I have three tires, two tubes and one wheel assembly, probably from a Super Cub. I'll get some pictures to post later. If anyone is interested in these tires let me know. I would accept any reasonable offer.
Check out my private strip on Google Earth at 45.49.57 N 76.45.44 W. Annual fly-in last week of July. Wheels & floats welcome.